Notre Dame Releases Official Statement On Reported Scandal, No Players Dismissed, Press Conference At 6 P.M. E.T

The University of Notre Dame has released an official statement regarding the reported academic scandal facing the Fighting Irish’s football team and other students. 

There will be a press conference at 6 p.m. E.T. to address the situation. 

From the release, which states that no current Notre Dame players have been dismissed, despite what was previously reported:

The University of Notre Dame is investigating suspected academic dishonesty on the part of several students, including four members of the football team. Because of the potential for NCAA violations, the University notified the NCAA today, and the four football players will be held out of practice and competition until the conclusion of an ongoing investigation and the University honor code process. Any possible academic dishonesty by other students will be addressed appropriately.

Earlier, it had been reported that four Notre Dame players–KeiVarae Russell, Ishaq Williams, DaVaris Daniels and Kendall Moore–had been dismissed by the team. Campus Insiders is reporting that up to 22 players are involved in the scandal and wins from the past four seasons could be vacated. 

“Integrity is at the heart of our mission and academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Notre Dame,” said Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the University’s president, in the release. “If the suspected improprieties are proven, we will use the experience to reinforce among our students the importance of honesty in all that they do. We are also examining ways of better conveying to students that they can avail themselves of legitimate academic assistance without resorting to cheating.”

The release stated that Notre Dame’s Office of General Counsel is investigating the case. 

Evidence that students had submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others was initially detected at the end of the summer session, and referred to the compliance office in athletics on July 29. The Office of General Counsel initiated an immediate investigation.

That investigation is ongoing. If it determines that the student-athletes would have been ineligible during past competition, Notre Dame will voluntarily vacate any victories in which they participated.

Notre Dame says all students involved in the investigation will remain a part of the university until the investigation closes. 

[ND.edu]

BR

Read More At Bleacher Report

Andrew Holleran is a staff writer for College Spun who currently resides in Columbus, Ohio. You can reach him via email at Andrew@collegespun.com or on Twitter @andrewjholleran.