Tom Izzo Announces “Controversial” Michigan State Captains And More During Media Day
Today is Michigan State’s annual media day and mlive.com, a website focusing on Michigan-based news, is providing live updates. Here are a few of the topics discussed thus far:
- The captains are Russell Byrd and Derrick Nix. The coaches had no say in the voting and Izzo says the choices may be controversial in the media. Byrd is only a sophomore and is coming off a left foot injury. Izzo said that Byrd’s healthy, has improved his shooting, and could play three different positions this season.
- Izzo described the Big Ten as being “the best it’s ever been.”
- The team will miss last year’s leader, Draymond Green, one of the best Izzo ever had.
- Keith Appling has improved his shooting since last season. Izzo also said that Appling could give Ohio State PG Aaron Craft a run for the title of Best Defender in the Big Ten.
- The coach hopes to play up to 10 different guys and force an up-tempo playing style. “I think we’re going to be a very athletic team,” Izzo said.